Rural Generalist GP/VMO - Ochre Medical Centre St Marys
Ochre Medical Centre St Marys
Location: Northern Tasmania
Occupation: General Practitioner
Title Description: GP/VMO
Position Type: Full Time, Part Time
Moratorium Period: 7 years
Are you passionate about making a difference? This small east coast practice has recently been taken over by Ochre Health and is seeking a GP/rural generalist to help provide care for the community. You can enjoy working in a small practice whilst knowing you have the support of an established provider behind you.
Ochre Medical Centre St Marys is looking for a GP/rural generalist to join its small and dedicated team to help cope with demand. Whilst full-time would be preferred, part-time will also be considered.
The practice is co-located with the St Marys District Hospital/Community Health Centre and operates Monday to Friday from 9.00 am – 5.00 pm. The hospital is a Tier 2 facility with 8 acute/sub-acute beds and an emergency department. Medical support is provided to the hospital as “on call”; this includes weekends when the practice is closed. Outreach and part-time services are available to support patient-centred care.
Ideally you will work 8-10 sessions during the week, sharing the after hours and weekend on-call (currently with locums). As the medical officer on call, it is expected that you will be able to attend the hospital within 30 minutes or less and be able to manage acute and/or sub-acute presentations independently. During periods of on-call, a house is provided for those medical officers who do not meet the 30 minute requirement.
Skills and Experience required:
- General or specialist registration with AHPRA
- Current emergency medicine certificate and recent relevant experience
The small town of St Marys (population 700) is situated beneath the rocky outcrop of St Patrick’s Head in Tasmania’s north-east. It is located about 1.5 hours from Tasmania’s second largest city, Launceston, via the fertile Fingal Valley and just 10 kilometres from the beautiful east coast. A farming community where the locals are friendly, strong heritage from Tasmania’s colonial days is evident and in town you will find some great cafes, quaint shops and galleries and a grand old pub. The district school caters from kindergarten through to grade 12, with a local school bus available.
What to do in your spare time? A variety of excellent nature walks can be found close by. There are two national parks to choose from, tall peaks with panoramic views, waterfalls, coal mining heritage sites, beautiful beaches, fishing and mountain biking trails at St Helens and Derby.
Ochre Medical Centre St Marys is accredited by AGPAL and administrative support is provided by the community health centre. A treatment room offers the opportunity to perform procedures. Pathology is collected every weekday and sent to Launceston, and x-ray is available 40 minutes away. The practice operates a mixed billing model and software used is Medical Director.
The co-located St Marys Community Health Centre offers 8 acute/sub-acute beds and an emergency department, physiotherapy and visiting services, along with Community Nursing, Day Centre, Home Help/Personal Care and the Tasmanian Lymphoedema Centre.
What's on offer?
- $10,000 incentive grant from HR+
- Competitive remuneration based on percentage of gross billings received: 65% for VR, 60% for non-VR
- Rural Medical Practitioner payments for hospital work
- Workforce Incentive Payments
- Eligibility for Rural Procedural Grants Program
- Eligible location for the HR+ Health Workforce Scholarship Program, which offers generous funding for health professionals looking to extend the skills and services they can offer their community.
- Eligible location for the RVTS and ACRRM IP
- Eligible location for the Five Year International Medical Graduate Recruitment Scheme - in this location, your 10 year moratorium can be reduced to 4 YEARS from the time of joining the Scheme.
- HR+ will organise a tailored orientation program on arrival
Please contact Fran Robinson at HR+ for more information or apply now.
HR+ will retain your information for a period of 24 months following your most recent communication.
Date advertised: Monday 13th November 2023