GP/VMO - Oatlands Surgery
Location: Southern Tasmania
Occupation: General Practitioner
Title Description: GP/VMO
Position Type: Full Time, Permanent, Part Time
Moratorium Period: 7 years
Do you love to work independently? Opportunity for a GP/VMO with strong rural skills in historic Oatlands, midway between Hobart and Launceston.
Oatlands Surgery is looking for another doctor to join on a full-time or part-time basis to build capacity. As the practice is usually only staffed by one doctor at any one time, you must have strong rural skills (including emergency) and be able to work independently.
Oatlands Surgery also provides 24/7 VMO support for the collocated Midlands Multipurpose Health Centre which offers 4 acute beds, 9 high care beds and 9 residential aged care beds. After hours and weekend on-call is shared with other regional doctors on a 1:4 basis.
The practice sees its strengths as being able to provide continuity of care and having a stable patient population, which is almost exclusively rural.
You will need:
- Recent experience in an unsupervised setting
- A current emergency medicine certificate
- Credentialling by the Department of Health and Human Services
Oatlands Surgery is situated in the pretty and historic rural town of Oatlands in the heart of Tasmania, just over an hour north of Hobart and slightly further to Launceston. The township of Oatlands has a population of just under 900, however additional patients come from the broader rural area.
The practice is privately owned, and operates within the Midlands Multi-Purpose health Centre. It is currently staffed by three GPs whose efforts combine to ensure that there is always one doctor in the practice when it is open and ensuring that on call services are provided 24/7.
The Multipurpose Health Centre also coordinates the delivery of a range of community services, visiting services and community groups such as Community Nursing, Child Health, Disability Services and Diabetic Education Services. Allied health services comprise physiotherapy and social work on an outreach basis, podiatry, and mental health services. A range of visiting specialists attend the Centre.
University of Tasmania Medical students find placements at Oatlands a very rewarding educational experience and the practice is currently exploring options to host GP Registrars undertaking an extended skills post.
The practice is 100% bulk billing and uses Medical Director and PracSoft. Clinic hours are Monday to Friday 9.00 am – 5.00 pm and Saturday to Sunday 9.00 – 11.00 am, plus Campbell Town (30 minutes away) from 3.00 – 5.00 pm (staffed by the on-call doctor).
What's on offer?
Date advertised: Friday 15th November 2019
- Excellent earnings potential, including:
- % of billings
- On-call allowance
- Rural Medical Practitioner payments
- GP Rural Incentive Payments
- Incentive grant available from HR+
- Eligible location for the HR+ Health Workforce Scholarship Program, which offers generous funding for health professionals looking to extend the skills and services they can offer their community.
- Eligible location for RVTS and ACRRM Independent Pathway
- HR+, in conjunction with the practice, will organise a comprehensive orientation program on arrival, tailored to the new doctor’s needs.