Rural Generalist GP/VMO - Swansea General Practice
Swansea General Practice
Location: East Coast Tasmania
Occupation: General Practitioner
Title Description: GP/VMO
Position Type: Full Time
Moratorium Period: 6 years
Are you a rural generalist GP/VMO who could be tempted by a stunning east coast Tasmanian beach holiday destination equidistant to Hobart and Launceston? Then read on!
This busy two-doctor practice is looking to expand capacity with an additional part-time or full-time position – or maybe you would like to job share with your partner, like the current doctors?
Swansea General Practice has capacity for an additional part-time or full-time permanent doctor (up to four days per week plus participation in the after hours and on-call roster). This could be the one person, or a job-sharing couple like the current doctors. The practice is open five days per week, plus there are clinics on weekends, and the incoming doctor (or doctors) would be expected to join the on-call roster at the co-located health centre.
The general practice is located at the May Shaw Health Centre, which also houses aged residential and a range of community health and visiting services, and offers 24/7 A&E services and 5 acute beds.
All after hours weeknight calls (which are not onerous) are covered by the Swansea doctors, with all calls going direct to May Shaw Nursing Home to be triaged by the nursing staff. The weekend on-call is shared between the doctors from Swansea, plus occasionally doctors from the neighbouring town of Bicheno and locums.
- General or specialist registration with AHPRA
- Current emergency medicine certificate
- Recent emergency experience
- Ability to work independently
Swansea is a pretty seaside village on Tasmania’s east coast looking over Great Oyster Bay to the spectacular granite peaks of the Freycinet National Park. The town is surrounded by beautiful beaches and the greater Swansea population of 2,000 doubles over the peak holiday period from December to April, whilst still retaining its laid-back character.
Swansea General Practice has two consulting rooms and a well-equipped procedure room. It is privately owned and AGPAL accredited, and operates a mixed billing model using Medtech Evolution software. Clinic hours are 9.00 am – 5.00 pm Monday to Friday with 2.00 pm clinics on Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays for about an hour. You will be supported by a practice nurse 2 days per week, plus a practice manager and receptionist, all of whom have been with the practice for a number of years. The practice is an accredited AGPT teaching practice and hosts medical students from the University of Tasmania.
The community is supported by a local ambulance service and permanent paramedic based in Swansea, and additional paramedics stationed 35 minutes away at Bicheno and Triabunna.
What's on offer?
- Excellent earnings potential including:
- 65% of surgery billings for a VR doctor, 60% for non-VR
- Weekend on call payments: Rural Medical Practitioner allowance $2000 per weekend plus 100% of clinic billings
- Workforce Incentive Payments (commencing at $16,000 after 1 year up to $35,000 per annum after 5 years)
- Eligibility for Rural Procedural Grants Program
- Incentive grant available from HR+
- Eligible location for the Five Year Scheme (reduction of 10 year moratorium)
- Eligible location for the HR+ Health Workforce Scholarship Program, which offers generous funding for health professionals looking to extend the skills and services they can offer their community
- Accredited AGPT & RGTS training practice
- Eligible location for RVTS and ACRRM Independent Pathway
- HR+, in conjunction with the practice, will organise a comprehensive orientation program on arrival, tailored to the new doctor's needs
Please contact Fran Robinson at HR+ for more information firstname.lastname@example.org or apply now.
HR+ will retain your information for a period of 24 months following your most recent communication.
Date advertised: Monday 11th September 2023