GP/VMO - Swansea General Practice
Swansea General Practice
Location: East Coast Tasmania
Occupation: General Practitioner
Title Description: GP/VMO
Position Type: Full Time
Moratorium Period: 6 years
Are you a GP/VMO who could be tempted by a stunning east coast Tasmanian beach holiday destination equidistant to Hobart and Launceston? Then read on!
This busy 2 doctor practice is looking to expand capacity with an additional full-time position – or maybe you would like to job share with your partner, like the current doctors?
Swansea General Practice has capacity for an additional full-time doctor (four days per week plus participation in the after hours and on-call roster). This could be the one person, or a job-sharing couple like the current doctors. The practice is open five days per week, plus there are clinics on weekends, and the incoming doctor (or doctors) would be expected to join the on-call roster at the collocated health centre.
The general practice is located at the May Shaw Health Centre, which also houses aged residential and a range of community health and visiting services, and offers 24/7 A&E services and 5 acute beds.
All after hours weeknight calls are covered by the Swansea doctors, with all calls going direct to May Shaw Nursing Home to be triaged by the nursing staff. The weekend on-call is shared between 4 doctors from Swansea and the neighbouring town of Bicheno and, with a new doctor, this would make the weekend on-call a very comfortable 1:4.
- General or specialist registration with AHPRA
- Current emergency medicine certificate
- Recent emergency experience
- Ability to work independently
Swansea is a pretty seaside village on Tasmania’s east coast overlooking Great Oyster Bay to the spectacular granite peaks of the Freycinet National Park. The town is surrounded by beautiful beaches and the greater Swansea population of 2,000 triples over the peak holiday period from December to April, whilst still retaining its laid-back character. Whilst Swansea has a primary school, the nearest high school is located in the town of Triabunna, approximately 40 minutes away.
Swansea General Practice has two consulting rooms and a well-equipped procedure room. It is privately owned and AGPAL accredited, and operates a mixed billing model using Medtech software. Clinic hours are 9.00 am – 5.00 pm Monday to Friday with 2.00 pm clinics on Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays. You will be supported by a practice nurse 2 days per week, plus a practice manager and receptionist, all of whom have been with the practice for a number of years. The practice hosts medical students from the University of Tasmania.
The community is supported by a local ambulance service based in Swansea with paramedics stationed 35 minutes away at Bicheno and Triabunna.
What's on offer?
Date advertised: Wednesday 19th February 2020
- Excellent earnings potential, including:
- 65% of surgery billings
- On-call allowance - $1000 per weekend plus 100% of weekend billings
- Rural Medical Practitioner payments
- Workforce Incentive Payments (up to $35,000 per annum after 5 years)
- Incentive grant available from HR+
- Eligible location for the Five Year Scheme (reduction of 10 year moratorium)
- Eligible location for the HR+ Health Workforce Scholarship Program, which offers generous funding for health professionals looking to extend the skills and services they can offer their community.
- Eligible location for RVTS and ACRRM Independent Pathway
- HR+, in conjunction with the practice, will organise a comprehensive orientation program on arrival, tailored to the new doctor’s needs.