GP - Campbell Town Surgery
Campbell Town Surgery
Location: Northern Tasmania
Occupation: General Practitioner
Title Description: GP/VMO
Position Type: Permanent
Moratorium Period: 7 years
Would you like to work in a rural practice just 45 minutes from Launceston? Great opportunity for a GP or GP/VMO to join this well-regarded practice either part-time or full-time, your choice! Incentive grant available.
Campbell Town Doctors Surgery is looking for an experienced GP/VMO to join the practice, which supports a collocated Tier 2 hospital and nursing home. Currently it is a sole GP operation, with on-call shared with other doctors in the region, however the incumbent doctor is looking to cut back and is flexible as to how this might work.
The position can be either full-time or part-time. You can either do clinic consultations only, leaving the existing doctor to concentrate on nursing home and acute inpatient visits, or you might wish to do weekend on-call only (which can be lucrative), or something in between. It’s all up for discussion.
The on-call commitment is 1-2 nights per week and usually one in four weekends, the latter shared 1:3 – 1:4 and covering both Campbell Town and Oatlands (40 minutes to the south).
This role would suit someone with appropriate recent emergency experience and qualifications who is able to work on their own. You might be an experienced VR GP/VMO, recently Fellowed with a return of service obligation, or seeking to train on the RVTS or ACRRM Independent Pathway. The wide variety of cases affords an excellent opportunity for learning on the job.
Campbell Town, just 45 minutes from Launceston airport on the Heritage Highway between Launceston and Hobart, has a population of about 800 and boasts a swathe of century old houses and convict-built structures. It is a busy town, being a popular stopping point for travellers.
Campbell Town Surgery sees its strengths as being able to provide continuity of care and having a stable patient population, which is almost exclusively rural. Your patients are “good hard-working families, who are all lovely”! You will be supported by a nurse on two days per week and also by a practice manager.
Campbell Town Health and Community Service comprises 6 acute care beds and 22 residential aged care beds and coordinates the delivery of a range of services to the surrounding community, including community nursing, home help/personal care, full-time social work and mental health care, and a variety of visiting services (physiotherapy, optometry, dentistry, gerontology and diabetes educator).
AGPAL accredited, the practice is privately owned and operates on a 100% bulk-billing basis. Hours are 9.00 – 5.00 Monday to Friday and 3.00 – 4.00 on Saturdays and Sundays (only for the weekend on-call doctor) plus on-call as described above. After-hours calls are triaged by the hospital, which provides a 24/7 service. The practice is housed in a modern complex with up to date facilities, including treatment room, and you would have your own consultation room. Software used is Medical Director.
The practice is not currently a training practice but would be keen to pursue this.
What's on offer?
Date advertised: Tuesday 12th March 2019
- As an independent contractor, remuneration will be based on a percentage of earnings and participation in the on-call roster has the capacity to significantly boost earnings. There is the opportunity to eventually take over the practice if desired.
- Incentive grant available from HR+
- Eligible location for GP Rural Incentive Payments
- Eligible location for the HR+ Health Workforce Scholarship Program, which offers generous funding for health professionals looking to extend the skills and services they can offer their community.
- Eligible location for RVTS and ACRRM Independent Pathway
- Accommodation is available at the hospital for the on-call doctor (your own room and a shared kitchen).
- HR+, in conjunction with the practice, will organise a comprehensive orientation program on arrival, tailored to the new doctor’s needs.